It is hard to come up with something new everyday, so i thought i would share about what i learned new today.
Lithium Ion Batteries : Some important points for the future of Batteries :
- The Prices of Lithium Ion Batteies have fallen more than 89% since 2010. In 2010 the Price was $1150/Kwh, whereas in 2021 the Price is around $135/Kwh.
- $100/Kwh is the magic number which will make EV's a viable option to the people.
- Metal prices such as Lithium only account for 16% of total battery costs.
- 50% costs include the electrolyte, separator and assembly module.
- The Leading Producer of Lithium ion batteries is China.
- Lithium has a high energy density so it can store a large amount of energy in a small volume.
- The world reserves of Lithium are limited and are available for a decade only.
Personally, i am not very bullish on the Lithium Ion Battery technology. I am all for Batteries but it seems Lithium is not sustainable and we would have to search for some other alternative.